According to Battery University, leaving your phone plugged in when it’s fully charged, like you might overnight, is bad for the battery in the long run.
It keeps the battery in a high-stress, high-tension state, which wears down the chemistry within.
Is it safe to charge phone overnight?
In short, yes, you can leave your phone plugged in overnight. Today’s phones are smart enough to be left plugged in overnight without damaging the battery. They have extra protection on the chips and in the software that stop the charging process when the battery reaches 100 percent, even if it’s still plugged in.
Is it bad to charge your iPhone overnight?
You may have heard that charging your iPhone overnight is bad for the battery. According to Battery University, a website run by the company Cadex, charging your phone when its already fully charged keeps it in a high-stress, high-tension state, which wears down the chemistry within and does lasting damage.
Does overcharging a phone battery damage it?
It’s complicated, as leaving your battery plugged in all night certainly isn’t dangerous but it might make your battery age slightly faster. “Overcharging” is the term that gets thrown around a lot with this one. This did, in fact, cause damage to the battery and reduce performance. Hell, it even led some to explode.
Should you charge your phone to 100?
For years, it’s been said that letting your phone charge all the way to 100% will result in the battery degrading faster compared to unplugging once it reaches 80% or so. According to Cadex (the world’s largest manufacturer of battery testing equipment), who should know, 50% to 80% is ideal for lithium batteries.